What We Do
Rebuild Your Home | Accessible Homes | Relocating to CT
With every day that passes, people are becoming more aware of our environment and the respect that it deserves. Since 1978, BROM Builders has been incorporating green building practices into all of our homes, and we continue to improve our methods wherever possible to do our part in keeping our environment safe and healthy.
We preserve the natural environment during construction by implementing erosion and sediment control, and save as many existing trees and plants as possible on each lot.
NATURAL RESOURCE CONSERVATION
- We use many maintenance free and low maintenance materials on the exterior of your home, which reduce the use and depletion of finite raw materials and long-cycle renewable materials such as long growth period trees. Gutters are included with all homes to control and direct the majority of rain water away from the home to reduce moisture and mold into the home. Garage floors and concrete porches are properly pitched to help water drain away from your home.
- We substitute engineered wood for real wood where practical which saves standing timber. We also use water resistant sub-flooring, which has a 50-year warranty.
- We install low flow water-saving fixtures and water-saving toilets.
MOISTURE & DRAINAGE CONTROL
- Exterior foundation coating keeps out moisture, and foundation form tie holes are sealed on interior and exterior.
- Plastic vapor barriers under basement slabs to control moisture as well as aid in preventing harmful gases (e.g., radon) from seeping in.
- A dehumidifier drain is tied into your interior footing drain, which can also be adapted for radon mitigation.
- Moisture-resistant drywall is included in all baths.
We carefully plan the orientation of each home to maximize natural lighting and solar energy.
- We use low VOC (Volatile Organic Compounds) interior & exterior paints.
- We include carbon monoxide detectors in every home.
- We prohibit smoking inside the home during construction.
- We duct the range hood directly to the exterior to remove cooking odors and moisture.
In addition to building every one of our new homes with these important Green elements, BROM also builds each quality home with Energy Efficient features.
ENERGY STAR FEATURES INCLUDED
IN EVERY BROM HOME
These features are included in each BROM home at no additional cost!
- Thermal breaks and sill sealer is installed on foundation walls to minimize air flow and heat loss. Insulated basement ceilings.
- We use Low E, ENERGY STAR windows and double-pane foundation windows.
- Blown-in attic insulation for more complete seal protection.
- Insulated bath exhaust ducting in attics reduces condensation, mold and heat loss.
- Insulated and weather-stripped attic access panel.
- Insulated entry doors with adjustable thresholds including door at bulkhead.
- Insulated garage overhead doors.
- House "wrap" under all siding for air and water barrier.
- Additional sealing to stop air and water infiltration.
- Energy Star light fixtures and bulbs and ultra-quiet bath exhaust fans.
OPTIONAL FEATURES UPON REQUEST
Green. Exhaust fan timers, Flooring -- When selecting carpet and padding, ask about products that meet the Carpet & Rug Institute's Green Label Program.
Energy Star Certification, heating systems, air conditioners, air filters, air purifiers, water heaters, gas fireplaces, and other appliances.
Green building practices are healthier for you because they provide better indoor air quality by minimizing chemicals, mold and other harmful substances.
Feel free to share with us any of your other GREEN or ENERGY STAR ideas, and we will be happy to add them to your new BROM home!